Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Halfway Learning Blog

I am going to start off with the topic that was asked at the beginning of Unit 2, what is standard english? When asked that, a lot came to the top of my head. And then I really had to think about it, what do I consider standard english? Then again, what would other people consider standard english? I decided to ask another person what they thought and compared it to my own thoughts. They replied to the question as "standard english is the correct grammatical rules for everyday speaking and writing." As said before, I thought that it was just the common/known way to speak or write. It is obvious that everybody is taught different and that "standard" or the "common" way isn't always the same in everybody's perspective.

This leads to the thought of different types of genres and their standards or criteria. I think that this is very interesting in many different ways. For example, sidewalk chalk. Sidewalk chalk is known to be short, attention getting, in very public places, usually written by a member of a group or team, and for the audience of many different types of people. Then there's the genre of post it notes, or a recipe book, or even a birthday card. All of this is very interesting to me, once taken the time to figure out that there is criteria and standards for every type of genre.

Finally, I feel that this project and group work will be another great experience. To work with one certain genre, then break and change a certain part of it, is something that i have interest in. I enjoy working with this type of work in english class. It puts a whole different outlook on things, and the way you see different genres. Breaking each down and experimenting what changes can really do, is a great idea and I can't wait to further on with this project. 

1 comment:

  1. I really like your first paragraph regarding standard english. This is a variety that we kind of "take for granted" as what is simply right, common, etc. when, in reality, different ways to write and speak are appropriate in many different contexts. One must also consider "why" this particular variety, so long ago, was decided as the particular variety used as that "correct" one. While we can't get away from this variety when writing for school, we can at least understand how it works and question it a bit more. I am curious: How did you feel about writing your first research proposal? How did you go about doing this?

    ReplyDelete