Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Final Learning Blog: Unit 2

This unit has been very beneficial to me, both in the learning process, and with work in other classes. We started out Unit 2 by taking a simple type of genre and changing a known aspect of that to an unfamiliar or unusual form. I thought that working with this type of experiment would be an awesome group project, and I was right. I had a lot of fun working with my group members to research such genres. There was humor with the confusion and reactions, and as a group, we ended up with a lot of good, useful, and helpful information. It brought a great opportunity of working with communication with group members and others.

Not only did learning about this juxtaposition concept help me with the group project, but also in another class. I actually had to write a paper on a certain aspect or theme in a class. I took what I knew about changing a specific part of a type of genre, in this case, a play, and found out how others would react to this change. Specifically, I found how much of a difference it would make if characters, language, or even a theme was changed in the play. How the play would not be complete without characters, sound, or background. This worked great for my paper and probably something not seen written a lot.

Clearly, this main juxtaposition concept that we worked with, could work in many different ways and help in other classes as well. The idea of taking something known and ordinary and changing a main part to something unbelievable can bring great reactions. I have enjoyed what we have learned in Unit 2, and know I will take this with me after english 101.

It's amazing how society is conditioned to believe or think one thing should be only one specific way and if changed, or different than that "known" way, then it is wrong or unbelievable.

3 comments:

  1. I will totally agree with you on how many people just dont really think about any other ways to do something, its like they think there is only one way that something should be done when there are different ways, but no one ever really uses them. With our group project my group did writing a paper and turning it on notecards, and almost everyone said that they would not turn something like that in because they were afraid that the teacher would grade them down for not having it on the actual paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought that this was an amazing group project and that the things that I have learned in this unit will stay with me far beyond this class. It was so fun to see how society has really conditioned people to think, they feel as though there is no other way to do certain things.My group worked on changing the content of a children's book into a newspaper article and immediately after reading it people said that this book could not be given to children, but they could not tell me why.

      Delete
  2. Ahh! I love that you were able to carry over what you've been learning in this class to a paper in another class. I think that true learning really takes place when you able to move it from a classroom space (or that first context where you learned it) and into another, particularly unrelated, arena. That shows that your mind is really beginning to grasp these concepts.

    ReplyDelete